5.6.11

Sounds of Sumer


I grew up in the country and although I do love being in the city I miss certain things from my childhood. I grew up quite literally smack dab in the middle of nowhere and our house sat near a creek that ran along the edge of the woods. One of my fondest memories and also one of the things that I miss the most, was sitting out on our back porch in the summertime on a humid still night, just after dusk when the tree frogs and crickets would start their song. If you have never heard them, its almost hypnotizing. My grandmother would sit in her swing and we would just enjoy the peaceful silence.


 


 

Midsummer's Dream

The air thick and sultry like breathing in silk so soft
Laiden with the sounds of tree frogs and crickets

Sweet smells of honeysuckle perfume sent aloft

Whispering to me from amongst the thickets
I drift into a sense of serenity
The tree frogs and crickets call to me like sirens in the dark stillness amongst the thickets

The crazy outside world seems like such an obscenity
The tree frogs and crickets call to me like sirens in the dark stillness amongst the thickets
Their voices like a perfectly played fugue lulling and pulling me into a sense of serenity
The tree frogs and crickets call to me like sirens in the dark stillness amongst the thickets

Sailing it aloft on perfumed winds, their song so harmonious


 

-M.Bell 2011






No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers