27.3.11

Phipps Conservatory.....A Brief History



In 1893, Phipps Conservatory was built by Henry Phipps as a gift to the City of Pittsburgh. Phipps stated he wanted to "erect something that will prove a source of instruction as well as pleasure to the people." He stipulated that the Conservatory must be open on Sundays so the workers could visit on their day of rest. The Conservatory was designed by the New York firm Lord & Burnham and cost $100,000. The original plant material came in from the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago which closed in November 1893.

The conservatory is one of the oldest Victorian glass houses still standing today.  

CLICK ON THE SLIDE SHOW BELOW TO SEE SOME HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE CONSERVATORY.  The photos in the show are from late 1800's and early 1900's.  As you can see, the main structure has changed considerably over the years as had the interior. 




1 comment:

  1. This is very nice information about phipps conservatory. It is so old but the condition is still nice and give good result.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

Followers